Can you create a report out based on a single row of data?

I am using a smartsheet form to collect location assessments and have the data plus additional fields for score calculations populating in a grid. The smartsheet will house multiple, on-going location assessments so that we can evaluate certain criteria overtime and compared to other locations. However, in addition to comparative data, I would like to be able to provide each location with a report out of their individual score with assessment questions, so only for that one row. Ideally this would look similar to the form but with content and add in the score calculations.

Is there a way to do this so that I don't have to manually pull data into a different format each time an assessment is completed? I know you can export a file and delete other rows, but would like this to be a little more user friendly looking. Is there a way to possibly have a dashboard auto created each time a new assessment is completed?

Any ideas or thoughts are welcome!

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Chelsea LeBlanc

The placeholders only update when used in a workflow, and won't dynamically add data if you are using the one-off "Send Row" feature. (You can read more about this functionality and how it works with different types of alerts in our Help Center, here.)

You could manually send the row and select the fields/columns you want to show to customize the message, then create your own text message up at the top, but I would think that's pretty time-consuming to do that for each row of data you want to send.

It sounds like an Alert Workflow would be the easiest to set up. You could add in a checkbox column to be the trigger, so when you want to send a row all you'll have to do is check the box and save the sheet.

Then you'll want to have a Contact Column set up that has the email address you want the information to go to.

Your alert could look like this:

Let me know if this makes sense or if you'd like to see more examples!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You could set up an automation email alert to go out, remove all columns and use placeholders in the body of the email.

"Hello, {{Location Column Name}} Team,

Congratulations on your score of {{Score Column Name}}!"

So if the ABC location had a score of 98, then the email they would receive would be:

"Hello, ABC Team,

Congratulations on your score of 98!"

You could include additional text/data as needed using the free text coupled with placeholders, and removing the columns shown from the email will keep it looking cleaner instead of having the grid right in the middle.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Chelsea LeBlanc
    Chelsea LeBlanc ✭✭✭✭

Thank you @Paul Newcome! I will play around with this tomorrow and see if it works for what we're looking for.

• Chelsea LeBlanc
    Chelsea LeBlanc ✭✭✭✭

@Paul Newcome , when I sent a test email by clicking on the dropdown for the row not automation, including {{Column Name}} didn't pull that information only and left it at {{Column Name}}. Do you know if that only works in automation?

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have only tested it in Automation. I am not sure if it supposed to work when sending a row or not.

@Genevieve P or @Andrée Starå may be able to confirm that though.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Chelsea LeBlanc

The placeholders only update when used in a workflow, and won't dynamically add data if you are using the one-off "Send Row" feature. (You can read more about this functionality and how it works with different types of alerts in our Help Center, here.)

You could manually send the row and select the fields/columns you want to show to customize the message, then create your own text message up at the top, but I would think that's pretty time-consuming to do that for each row of data you want to send.

It sounds like an Alert Workflow would be the easiest to set up. You could add in a checkbox column to be the trigger, so when you want to send a row all you'll have to do is check the box and save the sheet.

Then you'll want to have a Contact Column set up that has the email address you want the information to go to.

Your alert could look like this:

Let me know if this makes sense or if you'd like to see more examples!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now