Showing Parent/Child relationships in Reports.

12/31/20
Accepted

I created a Report so I could have a simplified view of a schedule sheet to print to PDF and include in the appendix of an actual PDF report I need to submit to the client. I noticed though that the report does not show the Parent child relationships. I know I can also hide columns in the sheet itself and print it that way, but I wanted something quick that could be used by anyone on our team even if they are not the sheet admin. I don't think people who are shared to a sheet with edit rights can hide columns. Any thoughts?

Sheet snip:

Report snip:

Best Answer

• Paul NewcomePaul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Unfortunately you have run into one of the limitations of Smartsheet. I see though that you do have conditional formatting/highlighting to show parent rows, etc.

Another option would be to implement a WBS system.

There are a few WBS solutions floating around here in the community. If you weren't too worried about the full WBS system, you could use symbols to show how many times a particular row has been indented.

->

-> ->

-> ->

-> ->

->

-> ->

-> -> ->

-> -> ->

-> ->

->

Either way... Feel free to Submit a Product Enhancement Request regarding showing the indentation in Reports as it would be a great feature.

Answers

Accepted Answer

Unfortunately you have run into one of the limitations of Smartsheet. I see though that you do have conditional formatting/highlighting to show parent rows, etc.

Another option would be to implement a WBS system.

There are a few WBS solutions floating around here in the community. If you weren't too worried about the full WBS system, you could use symbols to show how many times a particular row has been indented.

->

-> ->

-> ->

-> ->

->

-> ->

-> -> ->

-> -> ->

-> ->

->

Either way... Feel free to Submit a Product Enhancement Request regarding showing the indentation in Reports as it would be a great feature.

• Thank you very much for the background information on this one. I may give the structure you note above a try to see how it works out.

Happy to help. 👍️

If you have any trouble finding/figuring out either of the above solutions, feel free to let me know, and I will be happy to help you with one of them.

• I added to the conditional formatting for the summaries. I looked at some of the WBS solutions and they looked a little complicated. I have a column called "Task Type" that i have the following tasks:

I use the Project Summary (top level), Project Phase (i.e. - Project Initiation, Design Phase, etc), and Task Summary for the conditional formatting. Then I use Document Submission, General Task and Site Work as filters in a report to list our tasks for ALL projects without seeing Milestone and summary tasks. This will work for now! Thanks.

Happy to help. 👍️