Follow-up on Attachments: Can you control what is sent?

DEW
DEW ✭✭✭✭✭

I did some looking, and it appears the file>send as attachment will take the Smartsheet and send in its entirety. Is this still the case?

My scenario: I would like to be able to send an attachment (Excel) that has a filtered view - in other words, just 10 lines of a 1000 line Smartsheet on an automated basis. I have 10 teams, and I want to control what they get when it is sent to them.

Thoughts?

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @DEW

No problem!

1) Reports show the formatting that's set up in the source sheet, so if you wrap text in the sheet's column it will appear as wrapped text in the Report. Does that make sense?

See this article here for more details on formatting in Reports.

2) I don't have any general tips and tricks in regards to exporting a sheet or report to Excel, however there are a list of differences and things to keep in mind in this article on exporting to excel, here. I hope that helps!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Hi @DEW

Have you looked into creating a Report for each of your teams? You could have 10 Reports that all look at the main source sheet, each filtering down to the rows/information you want.

Then you can configured a Report to send as an attachment on a recurring basis, see this Help Article: Share a Report as an Attachment.

Let me know if this will work for you!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• DEW
    DEW ✭✭✭✭✭

That is interesting....Are you saying create a report with the correct information/format and then output it - can it be a Excel?

• Yes, exactly! You can format this to be an Excel file and you can set it up to be recurring...for example, once a week.

Once you've created a Report, click File then Send as Attachment to configure the export.

The step-by-step instructions are in the Help Article:  Share a Report as an Attachment.

If you need help creating the Report or filtering the information for each group, it would be useful to see a screen capture of your source sheet (but please block out any sensitive data!)

Cheers,

Genevieve

• DEW
    DEW ✭✭✭✭✭

Genevieve,

This is brilliant. Just 2 more questions before I mark it closed:

1) Can you control the formatting in the report (e.g. Word wrap)?

2) Is there a neat tips/tricks to make the formatting look better in the Excel?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @DEW

No problem!

1) Reports show the formatting that's set up in the source sheet, so if you wrap text in the sheet's column it will appear as wrapped text in the Report. Does that make sense?

See this article here for more details on formatting in Reports.

2) I don't have any general tips and tricks in regards to exporting a sheet or report to Excel, however there are a list of differences and things to keep in mind in this article on exporting to excel, here. I hope that helps!

Cheers,

Genevieve