Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Update/refresh dropdown list under contact list column

Options
geoff h
geoff h
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

Ive had to update my list of collaborators under Sheet Sharing, correcting spelling error in email and removing someone who has left my group.

But when I go to assign a task in the 'Contact List' type column, the dropdown otions include both the wrong and corrected email, and the person I removed.

I need to refresh or update it to prevent a mistake.

Hope someone can help.

One thing to note: I have 'Individual' membership, so dont have access to 'User Management'

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Geoff,

Besides sharing, you'll need to cleanup the sheet(s) to remove old instances of the contacts and then update your contacts in

Account | My Smartsheet Contacts

Craig

• Shaine Greenwood
    Options

To add to Craig's comment: if that user hasn't filled out their name in their own account under Account > Personal Settings > Profile and their shared on the sheet, you may see your contact and their account in the dropdown. Have shared users fill out their First and Last name in their profile!

• geoff h
    Options

Thanks Craig and Shane

The contacts as per Account | My Smartsheet Contacts are correct

But the contacts in the dropdown list are still incorrect.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

When you select the dropdown icon in a cell in a Contact List type column, it will check:

1. Users shared to the sheet

2. Other emails in use in the sheet.

If you start to type (instead of selecting something from the list), it will use 

your My Smartsheet Contacts.

If you are seeing choices in the list before you start typing, then as I stated in my previous post, you need to cleanup those entries from the column entries already in use.

If you had an assignment to Bob B - bob@bob_the_builder.com and want to change that to Bob Builder - bob@bob_the_builder.com, you need to find all places where the assignment is Bob B and fix those. 

Filters are good for this task.

Craig

• geoff h
    Options

Thanks Craig

All is updated now.

Cheers

Geoff

• aLgae
    aLgae
    edited 03/05/17
    Options

Hi, I am a "team" user and multiple people contribute the same worksheet.

I have my own Contact List (e.g. Bob Builder (UK)); but most of the other users do not have a consistent way of naming the same email account (e.g. Bob; BB; Builder; etc.)

How can I ensure that when they type the email address, they can select the name that I had assigned to bob@bob_the_builder.com, i.e. "Bob Builder (UK)"?  This is so that I do not have to clean up every time.  Thanks!

• Eric W.
    Eric W. ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    With the new option to add drop down values in a contact list, I've updated my sheet with the list of contacts I'd like to be included in the drop down list.
    When I attempt to use this drop down list from a report (in a different workspace) the drop down list in the contact column in the report only shows the names of those users shared to the workspace the report is stored (the contact list drop down I setup on the master sheet is not showing).

Workspace A = master sheet with drop down list in contact column
    Workspace B = report viewing sheet from workspace A only showing users shared to workspace B and not those contacts in the drop down list created on the sheet in workspace A

how do I fix this?

thanks,

Eric
  • Robin Sherwood
    Options

@Eric W. 

Great question, the short answer you can't because the new dropdown options haven't been wired up to work with reporting yet. The good news is we are currently working on adding support and it should be out next month. 

• John Tolliver
    Options

When my users with share privledges click on the drop down icon to select contacts there is no list of Users Shared to the Sheet, or any list. How do we implement?

• Chris Barushak
    Options

Hi - I have a solution I'm working on for one of our manufacturing sites.  They have anywhere from 20-45 different action item registers going at any given time.

Keeping them all in a workspace & utilizing the report features to pull/query data solves a huge problem for them, which is helpful.

What we are struggling with - is we'd like to have one single contact / drop list to show who is assigned.  We don't want to have to go into each AIR sheet, to edit the contact list or drop-down column, every time someone leaves or joins the team.

Is there a solution, template or workaround that I haven't thought of yet?  

Would appreciate any guidance or assistance you can provide.

Best Regards,

Chris Barushak (Bemis)

This discussion has been closed.