Forms - ability to add multiple fields

Hi,

I've looked everywhere but cannot see if this is possible - or a work-around.

I want to use the forms to collect information from site. One of the most import pieces of information is deliveries. So I have it set up so that "Materials" is a field/column, and then multiselect, and a second column for the quantity. This works if there is only one delivery - they can select the material type and then enter the quantity. The problem is I need them to be able to choose a lot of different material options and allocate a quantity to each of them.

I ideally, if the form user could just add additional material and quant fields within the form that would be great.

Any other ideas? Adding multiple fields for materials and quantities isn't really an option as we are looking at upwards of 50 different types of materials.

Answers

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @CassAnne ,

Rather than a single material and quality column can you create multiple, e.g. material1, material2, material3, material4 so that each item in the order is a different column? You'd need as many columns as your largest delivery, or you'd need to record (submit) multiple deliveries if the items delivered is greater than X. You'll have to determine if that's manageable.

You would use form logic to display the next material and quantity column if they have another to enter. You could start by displaying the number common to most deliveries (1,2,3?). Then use logic to add beyond that.

This structure makes your reporting slightly more complicated. You'll need to count and sum multiple columns, but it's doable.

Does that give you any viable ideas?

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @CassAnne

To add to Mark's excellent advice/answer.

I developed a solution using two forms (or the same form by using conditional logic) that can be used to submit the main information and then the other information on a new row for each submission after the first.

Would that work/help?

I'd be happy to share an example. 

Please send me an email at andree@workbold.com, and I'll share it with you.

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic day & Happy New Year!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.