URL to open an update form for a specific row

When I want to update a row in a sheet, I know I can right click on the row and request an update, which sends a request form with a nice little button that when clicked goes to a specific URL that will update just that record without exposing the entire sheet.

Is it possible to "just" generate that URL, so that when looking at a report a user could click a link and get the update form, then save, etc, without having to load the entire sheet?

Best Answer

• Sean Morgan
    Sean Morgan Employee
    Answer ✓

Hello @Jim Tavolaro ,

With regards to only generating a URL, is this so that a user can keep accessing that same URl for updating a row?

If this is the case, this won't be possible as of yet, but please feel free to raise an Enhancement Request using the hamburger menu in the top left of this page.

After testing, I was able to identify that even if you sent an Update Requests for the same Row, it will always generate a unique URL.

As a potential solution, you could create a Report, and filter it by "Current User". This way if a user is allocated on a specific row with a Smartsheet Account, they could access the Report that pulls in data from your Sheet, but it will only shows the rows they are associated too. See more on this here: https://help.smartsheet.com/learning-track/smartsheet-intermediate/reports

Let me know if you have any questions.

Kindest Regards

Sean

Answers

• Sean Morgan
    Sean Morgan Employee
    Answer ✓

Hello @Jim Tavolaro ,

With regards to only generating a URL, is this so that a user can keep accessing that same URl for updating a row?

If this is the case, this won't be possible as of yet, but please feel free to raise an Enhancement Request using the hamburger menu in the top left of this page.

After testing, I was able to identify that even if you sent an Update Requests for the same Row, it will always generate a unique URL.

As a potential solution, you could create a Report, and filter it by "Current User". This way if a user is allocated on a specific row with a Smartsheet Account, they could access the Report that pulls in data from your Sheet, but it will only shows the rows they are associated too. See more on this here: https://help.smartsheet.com/learning-track/smartsheet-intermediate/reports

Let me know if you have any questions.

Kindest Regards

Sean