Weekly Reminders Per Task

Options
James Tanner
James Tanner Overachievers Alumni

Hi there,

Happy New Year!

I'm trying to setup an automated weekly reminders per task, that is I have sheet of tasks (task/row) with a deadline that is different from the rest, and I can't seem to find a way to set that up.

As always, any insight is appreciated!

James

Answers

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @James Tanner ,

I need to better understand your requirement to help. Weekly alerts or update requests are easy. I need more information on who you want alerted and do you want any additional criteria applied so it only sends specific rows? Screenshots of your sheet would work. Please remove any sensitive information.

Thanks for using the Community.

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• James Tanner
    edited 01/11/21
    Options

Hi @Mark Cronk ,

I have a sheet where each row represents a task. Each task is initiated through a form, and the task is simply asking the task owner to answer a number of questions. The task is assigned to someone when it's initiated, and it's expected to be fulfilled within 7 days of its initiation date.

What I'm trying to automate here is to send weekly reminders to task owners for each row if not completed within 7 days.

Let me know if you need more context.

Thanks for offering your support!

James

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/12/21
    Options

Hi James,

This sounds pretty straight forward. In your main sheet you'll need a contact list column for the person assigned the task and a date column for date fullfilled. I'd also add a days in process column.

From there, in automation you'll create an alert notification, triggered when rows are added, to notify the person assigned that they have a task.

You'll create a second automation to alert or request an update as your reminder. You can trigger that when the initiation date is greater than x days in the past and the fullfilled date is blank.

If you assign people to respond based on criteria that can be coded, you can have the system automatically assign them. You can do that in a single formula if you only have a few people responding, or you can do it in a separate sheet if you have too many for a formula.

I'm happy to help you more if you need it.

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• James Tanner
    Options

Thanks Mark, I will try what you mentioned.

Have a great day!

James

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!