Cell linking a sheet to a summary field in another sheet

Options
rjw
rjw ✭✭
edited 01/11/21 in Smartsheet Basics

Does anybody know if there's a way to cross-sheet cell link (1 sheet to another sheet) to a field defined in the summary section of a sheet? I looked everywhere in the "link from other sheet" pop up screen and couldn't find anything.

Thanks,

Rich

Best Answer

Answers

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi Rich,

I don't think you can reference a summary field across sheets. Summary sheet help info is below. Summary references have to be in same sheet.

https://help.smartsheet.com/learning-track/smartsheet-intermediate/sheet-summary

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @rjw

A workaround could be to use a cross-sheet formula to collect the information.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Newman33
    Newman33 ✭✭✭
    Options

andree@workbold.com

I'd like to do the opposite here - Can I reference the data in another sheet to fill in a summary field?

Example: I have a Master sheet with Job codes in a primary column; each job code is hyperlinked to an individual task sheet pertinent to that job. I'd like a summary field of the individual project page to pull in the job code from the master, as well as the fields: Street Address #1 , City , State , Postal Code , Superintendent Contact , Superintendent Phone ETC ETC.

so that's my dilemma. Can you can help me?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Newman33

I hope you're well and safe!

Yes, you can.

You'd use cross-sheet formulas combined with either a VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH structure to connect the sheets, and when you update the source sheet, it will reflect on the destination sheet.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Newman33
    Newman33 ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello @Andrée Starå

So that's a relief to know it's possible. Can you help me fix my formula? I keep getting #unparseable.

Currently, the layout is such: Master sheet with Job Codes in Column 2. in that column, each job code is hyperlinked to an individual task sheet. Because the task sheet does not recognize it's own sheet name as a value, I've elected to try and pull in the Job Code from the Master sheet to a summary field for further use.

in a summary field, I've written the following: =VLOOKUP([NewCo ID]@row, {DBC Master - Test Range}, 2, false)

[NewCo ID] is the name of the job code column

{DBC Master - Test Range} is the name of the range I've selected, that being the first two columns from the master sheet, working from the left.

I've selected the second column, which is the NewCo ID column mentioned above

and I've asked for an exact match, with "False"

What am I doing wrong?

• Newman33
    Newman33 ✭✭✭
    Options

andree@workbold.com

Did you get a chance to review my follow up question above? Please let me know if there is any additional information I can provide to better help in getting this question answered.

• Newman33
    Newman33 ✭✭✭
    Options

@Andrée Starå

Hello - Can you please advise on this question? I'm trying to complete some pretty imperative items for my data management.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Newman33

I'd be happy to take a quick look.

Can you maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s)? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@workbold.com)

• Adam Messersmith
    Options

@Newman33

I am way late to the party, but for reference to future users I have been able to do Vlookups and Index/Match from a Summary Cell to return a value from another sheet. In my case it was pulling actual hours charged to date for a particular charge code.

Your Vlookup formula is referencing the lookup value "@Row" which is the wrong format for a summary cell. I think of a Summary slide out as it's own island of info, so the lookup value has to be singular, as it can only return one result, not show a different result for each row in the sheet.

I suggest changing your formula from  =VLOOKUP([NewCo ID]@row... to  =VLOOKUP([NewCo ID]#... as long as [NewCo ID] is a field in the summary cell pane. The # sign tells the system that it is a summary cell.

This reference can also be used when you want a summary cell (i.e. effort name, or manager of the sheet) to appear on every row when the rows are in a report. You just need to make new column, reference the field name with # sign, and convert to column formula. I then hide the column so its selectable from report builder but not visible in sheet to confuse users. This is helpful when you want to know what a row belongs to (sheet name, parent section name, etc.).