Add How Many Names Appear in Column Without Using A Formula Using a Specific Name

Options

I need to track first aid statistics to determine how many employees are responsible for first aid incidents, per month, per location. We have 275 employees and any of those names can appear in the spreadsheet during the year so I don't want to create a formula that will contain that many names. I want to pull information from the original sheet into a separate reference sheet. For example, taking the simplified information from below, how can I show that in December - 3 employees were involved in 4 incidents in Location A, 2 employees were involved in 4 incidents in Location B and 4 employees were involved in 4 incidents in Location C?

Thank you.

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Janette

Hope you are fine, you can use the following formula in the parent level

=COUNT(DISTINCT(CHILDREN()))

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Janette

To add to @Bassam.M Khalil's good answer, you'll just need to ensure you're referencing the correct column within the CHILDREN function. If you don't reference any column it will look in the current column, where the formula is placed.

=COUNT(DISTINCT(CHILDREN([Primary Column]@row)))

This formula would be in the current sheet, in a helper column. You could then use cell-links or a cross-sheet reference to bring this data into a second sheet. Will that work for you?

Cheers,

Genevieve

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!