Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Auto generating items onto a separate sheet

Lucas Knepper
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

Currently, my team is tracking roughly 60 projects (each one having their own Project Management sheet with dates assigned to individual items). I am using the RYG balls to track item status in each sheet but am looking for a way that I can formulate a list of items just in red/yellow across multiple sheets and combine it into one list on one sheet. Is this possible? If so, please explain how I can make this happen!

Any feedback appreciated!

Comments

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi "LK" You have a couple of choices here (at least). 

You could design your Project template so that it has a KPI dashboard say at the top which counts (by formulas) the the status of the work by numbers, eg Red 25 Yellow 10 Green 55 then use Cell linking to send those KPIs to a Summary sheet which will list all your Projects. 

OR

You can set up a Report that reads from all of your Project sheets and lists the said Criteria eg a Report for all the Reds, one for Yellow etc. Then you will miss nothing important. 

The beauty of the Reports is that as your project sheets are progressed and updated the resultant changes will AUTOMATICALLY change in the Reports which will make monitoring them easy. 

If you need more detail,  we can show you a demo of this workflow it works really well and is very popular.

Hope that helps

RichardR  

• Richard, the report idea sounds great. I gave it a try and it picked up the itmes in red/yellow on one sheet but not another eventhough both sheets are specified under the report builder settings. Is there a way I could have it just show a parent cell that is in red/yellow instead of all of its children cells? 

I am very new at this and appreciate you helping out! 

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Lucas look carefully at the filter choices to select only what you want, including dates. 

To surface only the the parent Rows you need to insert a data Trigger in those rows that will not exist in the children, then use the Filters to "Find that DataTrigger". 

Dont forget you can SORT the results according to your priorities. 

Hope that helps? 

Richardr 

This discussion has been closed.