Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Client Facing Project Management [help!]

Options

Hello,

I am trying to create a client facing project management report so that my clients know where they are at in the process.

My issue is that to create this report I seem to have to give the client access to my internal teams project management sheet which means that the client can see everything going on on in the internal client management sheet (and I would prefer they not because there are internal discussions which go on there). 

Is there a work around that this community has found? 

- Adam

Comments

• Brett Evans
    Brett Evans ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/01/17
    Options

Adam,

There are a couple of different ways to do this.  But you may have to rearrange how your sheet is built.  By design your report conslidates info from a sheet your customer has access to. If they can see it on the report, they can see the sheet.

Redesign of your sheets might be needed, but it is completely possible.  It is completely dependent on your business process with your clients and internal workflow.  

I have had to do this a couple of times and you usually end up with a better system.

-Brett

• Adam Lundquist
    Options

Hi Brett,

Thank you so much - do by any chance have an example? This is new to me.

You can email me at adam@nerdsdoitbetter.com if you don't want to put it here.

- Adam

• Mendy Burns
    Options

Brett, I'd love to hear your solution as well. After reviewing several discussions, I'm wasting too much time rebuilding sheets to accomodate trying to avoid sharing the Master sheet only to copy the rows to capture the comments and attachments between sheets.

Craig, how does publishing a report tie back any comments/attachments? I understand the outbound but what about any report feedback?

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Mendy,

I don't understand the questions.

Are you asking how to prevent the client from seeing comments/attachments on rows from the Published report? I don't think you can, unfortunately. I missed that in your original post. Apologies.

What report feedback? The requirement you had was allowing the client to see portions of the sheet but not all of it. (Again, I missed the specific mention of discussions). Are you looking for a way for them to review and comment on the project status?

Craig

• Mendy Burns
    Options

I need the client to be able to see comments/attachments; in turn, I also need them to comment and add attachments to any given row in the report.

Can a client utilize a update request for comments to go into the sheet if the sheet is not shared with them?

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/02/17
    Options

Yes, 

Update Requests are a one-time link to the row(s) included.

The columns, Comments, and Attachments can be customized to only include what you want them to see/update.

They can also be sent periodically.

Craig

This discussion has been closed.