Parent Project and children Tasks

Options

Hello,

I am trying to create a dashboard in Power BI which contains a project portfolio report and a task overview report. Therefore, I need to differentiate between parents (project) and children (tasks) from my source sheet. I'm doing this by creating a grid that contains just the parent rows and another grid that contains just tasks rows. I'm thinking on this as a relational database.

A project in the source sheet looks like this:

I'm using INDEX formulation, but I'm not sure yet about how to reference parents and children so I can get what I need in each new grid I mentioned before.

Does someone have any suggestion? I'll appreciate it.

Thank you.

Best Answer

• Chris Mondeau
    Chris Mondeau ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @FrankOrtz ,

You might be able to use the parent() function that references your task column and apply it as a column formula:

This will put the parent level task for any children for every row. If the row is a parent level without any ancestors, then the value would be blank, or you can modify the formula to set it equal to itself.

Hope that helps!

Answers

• Chris Mondeau
    Chris Mondeau ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @FrankOrtz ,

You might be able to use the parent() function that references your task column and apply it as a column formula:

This will put the parent level task for any children for every row. If the row is a parent level without any ancestors, then the value would be blank, or you can modify the formula to set it equal to itself.

Hope that helps!

• FrankOrtz
    Options

Hello @Chris Mondeau,

Thank you for your suggestion. That's a simple solution which I used as an input to the INDEX() functions. Everything is working as expected.

Thank you again!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!