Workspace Permissions

We would really like to be able to organize a bunch of sheets within a workspace. New sheets are going to be added routinely, and we very much want to take advantage of the inherited permissions of the workspace. Also, we would like for the sheets to be in the workspace and not constantly bombard our users with new sheets in their "Sheets" folder.

Here's the problem:

• We need to be able to have users create sheets within this workspace (and share those sheets with our clients), but...
  • We very much don't want users to accidentally share the entire workspace with our clients. (Thus, making everyone an admin on the workspace presents quite a risk).

Is there not any way to grant people permission to create/own items in a workspace, while preventing them from sharing the entire workspace with others?

Thanks much.

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @tvetter 

Hope you are fine, you can train your user to share his own sheet from inside the open sheet in this way he will never share the workspace, but my advice for you to use the Dynamic View app to control the sharing permissions to avoid any mistake by your users.

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Hi @tvetter

In order to create sheets in a Workspace, users need to have Admin permissions. This does mean that they would then also have the ability to share the workspace as a whole to others, as you've pointed out. The Sharing Chart on this Help Center article has more details on what they can and cannot do in a Workspace.

At this time there isn't a sharing setting that allows sheet creation in a workspace without workspace sharing (if you want to let our Product team know about your feedback, fill out this form, here!)

You may want to think about creating multiple Workspaces to break out your processes and sharing settings, if that would help.

Cheers!

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now