Row ID

Can someone confirm for me if the Row ID of a row changes when I MOVE a row to another sheet?

I assume it does change if I copy the row, but I am unsure about when it's a move.

Thanks!

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Are you talking about an auto-number column, a formula generated number within the sheet, or the row id that can be used with the API/3rd party apps?

• The Row ID that is used with the API/ 3rd party apps.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Andrée Starå I am not familiar with how the Row ID works with the API/3rd party apps, but I imagine it would change if you were to move it to a different sheet. Are you able to confirm?

• For anyone that might see this thread - I confirmed it does change if moved to a different row, both copy and move will change the row id

• The inability of Power Automate flow to find the Row ID of moved/copied rows is only happening with the rows I moved/copied manually from one Smartsheet to another.

While my flow was failing during tests with these items, rows that were moved automatically by Smartsheet worked as expected with Row ID from trigger output "When a new row is created."

Trigger - When a new row is created - your Smartsheet source sheet

Get sheet data - gets the data from the source sheet

Initialize variable - you are creating an array of your sheet data; "Value" for this array is "value" from the output of your dynamic schema (previous step; choose from Dynamic Content dropdown)

Using the same source sheet ID for the Smartsheet actions "Add a discussion to a row" and "Add a comment to a discussion":

The "Add a comment to a discussion" step relies on the "Add a discussion to a row" step

I then have an automated workflow in the Smartsheet source sheet that moves the row to an archive sheet when a comment is added, which is what this flow does.

It took me 2 days to figure out that my flow was failing only on the rows that I manually moved so I hope that helps!

Kristina M.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!