#Invalid Data Type for identical formula on one sheet that works on another sheet

Hello,

I have two identical sheets to collect application data, each for a different project type. We'll call them Sheet 1 and Sheet 2. They both reference the same budget request sheet.

I have a "Budget Submitted" column on each sheet, which I want set up as a checkbox. I want the box to be checked if a project name on a sheet matches a project name in the Budget sheet.

I manually entered the following formula in the Budget Submitted column on each sheet: =IF(MATCH([Title of Proposal]@row, {Requested Budget Project Name}, 0), 1, 0).

This formula works perfectly on Sheet 1, but on Sheet 2 produces an #Invalid Data Type error. Why does it work on one sheet and not on the other?

Thanks, in advance for any help.

~Sandra Bauman

Best Answer

Answers

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The MATCH function "Returns the relative position of a value in a range (lookup table). The first position is 1." When I tested your formula, it appeared to work when the returned value was '1'. Your formula gave me a #Invalid Data Type on all other values.

Try this

=IFERROR(IF(MATCH([Title of Proposal]@row, {Requested Budget Project Name}, 0) > 0, 1, 0), 0)

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

An robust alternative approach that would not require the IFERROR function is

=IF(COUNTIFS({Requested Budget Project Name}, [Title of Proposal]@row) > 0, 1)

• Sandra Bauman
    Sandra Bauman ✭✭✭
    edited 01/25/21

KDM, thank you for your response. Your alternative formula seems to be working. Thank you! ~Sandra

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!