How to deconcatinate

Options

I need to be able to separate out the five sections separated by commas into five adjacent blank columns

ED Class, Wednesday, 01/20/21, 9:00 am - 12:30 pm, Happy Hospital

Thanks, Laura

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @laura.buchanan

Hope you are fine, try the following formula for each column:

1- column 1 =MID(g@row, 1, 8)

2- column 2 =MID(g@row, 10, 10)

3- Column 3 =MID(g@row, 21, 9)

4- Column 4 =MID(g@row, 31, 19)

5- Colum 5 =MID(g@row, 51, 19)

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• laura.buchanan
    laura.buchanan ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Bassam, you're brilliant! Thanks so much!! I do need a tad more guidance. The number of letters in some of the data is different in length, so it caused things to get "off" a little.

My formula worked great for New provider class on Tuesday, but when I dragged it up the entire column, Wednesday took up more letters, so the formula got off.

Similarly the ED class is shorter, so those got off as well.

Is there an adjustment you recommend to the formula?

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hey @laura.buchanan

See if this works for you. Sorry for the delay but it took a bit to work out.

Column 1 =LEFT(g@row, FIND((","), g@row) - 1)

Column 2 =MID(g@row, FIND(", ", g@row) + 1, FIND(", ", g@row, FIND(", ", g@row) + 1) - LEN([1]@row) - 2)

Column 3 =MID(g@row, FIND(",", g@row, FIND(",", g@row) + 1) + 1, FIND(",", g@row, FIND(",", g@row, FIND(",", g@row) + 1) + 1) - (FIND(",", g@row, FIND(",", g@row) + 1) + 1))

Column 4 =MID(g@row, FIND(",", g@row, FIND(",", g@row, FIND(",", g@row) + 1) + 1) + 2, FIND(",", g@row, FIND(",", g@row, FIND(",", g@row, FIND(",", g@row) + 1) + 1) + 1) - 1 - FIND(",", g@row, FIND(",", g@row, FIND(",", g@row) + 1) + 1) - 1)

Column 5 =RIGHT(g@row, LEN(g@row) - (LEN([1]@row) + LEN([2]@row) + LEN([3]@row) + LEN([4]@row) + 8))

The '8' in column 5 is the sum of the extra character spaces between each of the comma's and the beginning of the word. All the heavy lifting came from Paul's post here

cheers,

Kelly

• laura.buchanan
    laura.buchanan ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Kelly, Thanks SO much. I'm am saving your notes for the next time I have to jump through deconcatenate hoops. I actually engaged Rich Taglieri from the customer support line to help come up with a better strategy for what I was trying to accomplish and as it turns out I'm not going to have to do the deconcatinating. BUT I really do appreciate your time and I am for sure saving your guidance in my secret smartsheet tip sheet. Take care, Laura

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!