Can we automate hierarchy based on form responses? Can the parent/child relationship flow to report?

Elaine Mom
Elaine Mom ✭✭
edited 01/26/21 in Smartsheet Basics

First Question: I have a form to collect the division and unit from end-users on tasks. I would like the unit to be captured as a child to division in the sheet automatically. Though I understand that one form response results in one row, what is the workaround for the associated child row to appear under the parent row? How can this work with more than 1 person using the form throughout their workday?

Second Question: Can the hierarchy as it appears in a sheet flow to a report so that the end-user can distinguish parent from child?

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Elaine Mom

I developed a solution using two forms (or the same form by using conditional logic) that can be used to submit the main information and then the other information on a new row for each submission after the first.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• @Andrée Starå

Hi! I've been trying to do this same thing as well. How were you able to make the additional form submissions into child rows to the first submission? Do you do this manually?

Thanks!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Servicezx

I hope you're well and safe!

At the moment they are not Parent/Children rows but separated by using conditional formatting.

I'd be happy to share an example. 

Please send me an email at andree@workbold.com, and I'll share it with you.

I hope that helps!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• James Keuning
    James Keuning ✭✭✭✭✭

Second Question: Can the hierarchy as it appears in a sheet flow to a report so that the end-user can distinguish parent from child?

I use a helper column to test the hierarchy level for each record. Then I insert a dot space in front of the text for each level. This provides the visual cue for indentation.

So it ends up like:

This is a parent

. This is a child

. . This is a grandchild

. . . Etc

• James Keuning
    James Keuning ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is the formula I use (my field is Task Name:

=(IF((COUNT(ANCESTORS([Task Name]@row))) = 0, "", IF((COUNT(ANCESTORS([Task Name]@row))) = 1, ". .", IF((COUNT(ANCESTORS([Task Name]@row))) = 2, ". . .", IF((COUNT(ANCESTORS([Task Name]@row))) = 3, ". . . .", IF((COUNT(ANCESTORS([Task Name]@row))) = 4, ". . . . .", IF((COUNT(ANCESTORS([Task Name]@row))) = 5, ". . . . . .", IF((COUNT(ANCESTORS([Task Name]@row))) = 6, ". . . . . . .", IF((COUNT(ANCESTORS([Task Name]@row))) = 7, ". . . . . . . .", IF((COUNT(ANCESTORS([Task Name]@row))) = 8, ". . . . . . . . .", IF((COUNT(ANCESTORS([Task Name]@row))) = 9, ". . . . . . . . . .", IF((COUNT(ANCESTORS([Task Name]@row))) = 10, ". . . . . . . . . . .", ">")))))))))))) + [Task Name]@row

• @Andrée Starå Would you be able to share the example you mentioned above? Thank you!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Kristen Lim

I hope you're well and safe!

I'd be happy to share an example. 

Please send me an email at andree@workbold.com, and I'll share it with you.

I hope that helps!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!