Column references keep changing

For some reason my {Range} reference keep changing after I set my formula.

Formula: =SUMIFS({Civic 2021 Range 6}, {Civic 2021 Range 4}, " RFP Submitted", {Civic 2021 Range 3}, MONTH(@cell) = 1)

I select the column below, test the formula everything fine, then I go it messes up another formula, so I go fix the other range and then come back and range moved over to the column title "Current Status" its a vicious circle.

Fix one and messes up the others.

Best Answer

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey @Shannon Lacerda

Is it possible that you are trying to use the {Range 4} in another column by copying the formula to another cell then just editing (Updating) the Range name within that new cell? If yes, editing the name that way would cause the other cell that originally used Range 4 to change.

If you are copying the formula to a new cell, you must delete the range from the formula you are working on then insert a brand new range - you can keep all the other parts of the formula, it's just the range you need to REPLACE, not UPDATE.

Does that make sense?

cheers,

Kelly

Answers

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey @Shannon Lacerda

Is it possible that you are trying to use the {Range 4} in another column by copying the formula to another cell then just editing (Updating) the Range name within that new cell? If yes, editing the name that way would cause the other cell that originally used Range 4 to change.

If you are copying the formula to a new cell, you must delete the range from the formula you are working on then insert a brand new range - you can keep all the other parts of the formula, it's just the range you need to REPLACE, not UPDATE.

Does that make sense?

cheers,

Kelly

• Yes, thank you, When I went to update, I didn't realize it was not updating the name in the formula as well. ,

Thank you, now I know I need to delete the {range} then select updated range.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!