How do I change formula in a row when the column had another formula already?

How do I change formula in a row when the column had another formula (from convert formula for the column)?  I tried to change formula for just one row but the formula changed for the whole column. How can I restrict formula change to just the row I needed.

See sample file attached. Colum H is the total of Colum E, F ,G. But for row 4 to 10 , I would like to average the number in column E,F, G. I tried change formula in row 4 but the formula for entire column changed??

Best Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Lynna

Hope you are fine, when you convert the formula to the column formula you can't change this formula for one row.

to do that first you convert it to a column formula to fill all cells in the same column with the same formula then you can convert it again to the cell formula and you can change the formula for the specific row you want, but please note that you will not be able in future to turn it back to column formula because again the formula will be the same in all cells also any new row you will add you need to copy the formula for it manualy.

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Lynna 

Hope you are fine, when you right-click on any cell in the column you convert it to column formula you can find this option i will attach a screenshot showing you where.

PMP Certified

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Lynna

Hope you are fine, when you convert the formula to the column formula you can't change this formula for one row.

to do that first you convert it to a column formula to fill all cells in the same column with the same formula then you can convert it again to the cell formula and you can change the formula for the specific row you want, but please note that you will not be able in future to turn it back to column formula because again the formula will be the same in all cells also any new row you will add you need to copy the formula for it manualy.

PMP Certified

• Lynna
    Lynna ✭✭

Thanks Bassam! Step 2... Where do I click to just convert to the cell formula ? I change the cell formula but the formula changed for the entire column.

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Lynna 

Hope you are fine, when you right-click on any cell in the column you convert it to column formula you can find this option i will attach a screenshot showing you where.

PMP Certified

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!