Is there any issue with the “Record the Date” functionality on linked cells?

Gunther De Dobbeleer
edited 02/02/21 in Smartsheet Basics

I want to create an automation for Record a Date: when a cell is equal to “Complete” then record the date when that happened. This essentially works when I manually enter this value in the cell (see screenshot - last row). However, I want to have this linked in from another sheet and then it fails. The data is correctly set to Complete, but the date is not recorded. On the screenshot you can see that the data for rows 1 to 3 is linked from another sheet. Is there any issue with the “Record the Date” functionality on linked cells? Does somebody know?

Thanks, Gunther 

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Gunther De Dobbeleer

Currently the Record a Date workflow cannot be trigged by cell-links or cross-sheet references, as you've found. This is true for workflows that automatically change a sheet (like approval requests, move row, copy row, etc), and it is to prevent infinite approval loops.

You can see a note about this at the bottom of this Help Center article: Trigger Blocks: Define When Your Workflow is Executed

I've requested an update to the Help Article which will identify that Record a Date is another one of the actions that is unable to be triggered through linked cells.

I would suggest using either a time-based automation or a recurring workflow instead.

Cheers!

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers