Counting Dates in a calendar year

Options

I need to count rows that have a value in the "Open Date" column within a calendar year (i.e. 2020), not sure what the syntax is to limit to Jan 1 through Dec 31

Best Answer

• Dale Murphy
    Dale Murphy ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Randy Van Winkle Have you tried using the Year() function to examine what year a column of dates are from? It is straightforward if you don't mind adding a column to extract the year:

If column A holds your date, then use =YEAR(A@row) in Column B to get the year

Then in a third column you hold your answer, calculated by: =COUNTIF(B:B, =2020)

Basically, count if B = the year you are interested in. (adjust 2020 as needed)

Make sense? Let me know if you don't have flexibility to add that extraction column.

(I also recommend building Column B as a column formula, and adding some error-checking in case your date field is blank or is not a good date)

Dale

Answers

• Dale Murphy
    Dale Murphy ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Randy Van Winkle Have you tried using the Year() function to examine what year a column of dates are from? It is straightforward if you don't mind adding a column to extract the year:

If column A holds your date, then use =YEAR(A@row) in Column B to get the year

Then in a third column you hold your answer, calculated by: =COUNTIF(B:B, =2020)

Basically, count if B = the year you are interested in. (adjust 2020 as needed)

Make sense? Let me know if you don't have flexibility to add that extraction column.

(I also recommend building Column B as a column formula, and adding some error-checking in case your date field is blank or is not a good date)

Dale

• Randy Van Winkle
    Options

@DMurphy Worked great! took a minute to figure out the error checking, but I got it.

Best,

Randy

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!