Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Help with formula: COUNTIFS

Ginny A.
Ginny A.
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

I am trying to count the tasks not started yet so the column [% complete] is either blank or 0. I used this formula- COUNTIFS([% Complete]:[% Complete], "", [% Complete]:[% Complete], 0) but getting 0 as result whereas more than half of my tasks have not started yet. Any feedback highly appreciated. Thank you. 

Tags:

Comments

• Also, related to this, when I use this formula- "=COUNT([% Complete]:[% Complete])",  it gives me 55 whereas there are 62 rows. Does it not count the parent rows? 

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Ginny,

COUNTIFS must match all criteria, not just one of them, so you are looking for both blank and 0, not either.

COUNT is not counting the number of rows for a Text/Number column, but non-blanks.

It will count the rows for a Checkbox type column (both checked and unchecked), but be careful, it will usually count the extra 9 empty rows at the bottom of the sheet too.

Verify that you have 7 blank entries in the [% Complete] column to ensure I am correct.

This formula gets us close - but still counts those extra blank rows at the bottom of my sheet:

=COUNTIF([% Complete]:[% Complete], OR(ISBLANK(@cell), @cell = 0))

To resolve this, I assumed that only rows with a defined task would be counted and changed the formula back to the COUNTIFS

=COUNTIFS([% Complete]:[% Complete], OR(ISBLANK(@cell), @cell = 0), Task:Task, NOT(ISBLANK(@cell)))

Hope that helps.

Craig

• Hi Craig,

This is very helpful! So, I tried the formula below to count the %complete "in progress" defining it as the ones that is not complete (not 100%) or not started (not 0 or blank). It seems to have worked but was wondering if there is a better way to construct the formula. I would love to hear your thoughts on it. Thank you.

=COUNTIFS([% Complete]:[% Complete], AND(NOT(ISBLANK(@cell)), @cell <> 1, @cell <> 0), [Task Name]:[Task Name], NOT(ISBLANK(@cell)))

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/13/17

Ginny,

That looks OK to me.

You might be able to change <> to < and > , but that is likely cosmetic.

<> for both will result in hits on negative values or greater than 100% values.

Because you are using COUNTIFS, you could also get rid of the AND(), but your version is more compact.

You MIGHT have a misplaced end paranthesis

=COUNTIF(  complete%range,  AND(criterion for complete%), task-namerange, criteria for task-name)

Craig

•  I tried using <and> and kept getting #UNPARSEABLE. 

I changed it to the formula below seems to be giving the right result. I took out validating Task name as I am not counting blank cells at all. Let me know if I can improvise it further. Thanks Craig!

=COUNTIF([% Complete]:[% Complete], AND(NOT(ISBLANK(@cell)), @cell <> 1, @cell <> 0))

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Look great!

Craig

• Ginny A.
    Ginny A.
    edited 03/21/17

Just curious, can you give me an example how to use < and >? I could not find any. Thanks Craig! 

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Ginny,

I'm not sure what the question is.

=COUNTIF([% Complete]:[% Complete], > 0.5)

or

=COUNTIF([% Complete]:[% Complete], @cell&gt; 0.5)

will count percentages greater than 50%

Craig

• Hi All & Hopefully Craig - I had a formula work perfectly well last week, but this morning I was getting a #NO MATCH.  Data has not changed.  I do have this looking up data which is pulling from an INDEX, MATCH formula, but when I changed a piece of that source data to a value it still did not work. 

Any thoughts on this?

Here is the formula - Counting dates in the column for the month of August:

=COUNTIFS([File Upload Date]:[File Upload Date], @cell >= DATE(2018, 8, 1), [File Upload Date]:[File Upload Date], @cell <= DATE(2018, 8, 31))

This discussion has been closed.