Collapsing Gantt chart items

Hello,

We are doing a product roadmap Gantt chart presentation for a high level audience but would also like to be able to use this same roadmap for the project tracking for our programming team. Essentially, for the high level audience, we don't need the granularity we'll need for the programming team so we'd like to be able to collapse the line items for repetitive tasks and also have the Gantt bars collapse as well. Here's an example of what we are trying to do. Given line items of the following:

2021 Software Upgrades

Q1 Upgrade 2/1/2021-4/1/2021

Q2 Upgrade 5/1/2021-7/1/2021

Q3 Upgrade 8/1/2021-10/1/2021

Q4 Upgrade 11/1/2021-12/1/2021

We'd have corresponding Gantt bars on each of the quarterly line items. What we are trying to do for the high level meeting is collapse the quarterly line items on the "2021 Software Upgrades" line item such that, upon collapse, there would be four bars after the 2021 Software Upgrades line that represent the four quarterly upgrade windows depicted by the sub-items.

Is that possible or does that not work with a Gantt chart?

Thanks for any tips you may have!

Best Answer

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Steven Bair

I hope you're well and safe!

You can either use a filter in a sheet or create a report.

You'd need to have something to filter on, like the Task Title, or you could add a so-called helper column, like checkboxes, and check the box for each row you'd want to include.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Answers