Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

COUNTIF problems with data types

Kent Vaughn
Kent Vaughn ✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

( I have looked extensively to see what issue I'm having but cannot find an adequate answer ) 

=COUNTIF(StartDate:StartDate, MONTH(@cell) = 2)

Task: Just count the rows where a Date Field is FEB    ( we'll use StartDate as the field and it is a DATE field )    -----    The result I get is #INVALID DATA TYPE 

Why is SS indicating a problem here? 

https://app.smartsheet.com/b/publish?EQBCT=5da69588764148a1850fbebfe43d7e7b

Tags:

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

This one has me stumped.

The error is coming from blank dates.

This is not how it was working previously. I'm investigating (but am not a Smarsheet employee)

Craig

• Kent Vaughn
    Kent Vaughn ✭✭✭✭

J. Craig  - Thanks!   Yes, I also concluded that if I excluded the blanks it seemed to work fine.   I joke to my team, "I love SS, I hate SS".  This weekend has been that example - trying to do what should be simple conditional logic ends up being an exercise in frusturation.   Makes it hard to convince others to migrate solutions to SS. 

-- Kent 

• Taylor F
    Taylor F Employee

Hello Kent, 

Craig is correct by using the IFERROR. When the COUNTIF is checking the blank rows to see what month the cell is in, it will return a #INVALID DATA TYPE error. Placeing IFERROR around MONTH(@cell) and setting it to 0 will allow it to be skipped. 

Taylor

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Kent,

Try this:

=COUNTIF(StartDate:StartDate, IFERROR(MONTH(@cell), 0) = 2)

My notes indicated this worked without the IFERROR() but I can not get it to again.

Hope it gets better for you.

Craig

This discussion has been closed.