Sorting in a sheet and in the team task board works different?

Hi all,

I am working in a sheet with a projectplan and I am working in a Team Task Board, as far as I understand this is also 'just a sheet'. When I sort on owner, due date etc in the projectplan, the parent/children relationship is ignored and that messes up the whole project plan (there is no solution for this right? I am afraid that one of our many future users will sort and save).

When I do the same sort in the Team Task Board, it will conduct the sort within the parent groups only and I keep the parent/children relationship intact.

Why is this?

Thanks for your help!

Kind regards

Anne

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Anne Bolsius

When you sort a sheet with hierarchy, the child rows will be sorted but kept beneath their parent row. The parent rows will also be sorted but their sub-items will move with them. (See: Sort Rows to Organize Your Data).

Is it possible that the Team Task Board is actually a Report, not a sheet? Reports have a slightly different header toolbar with the Report options (such as Sheet / Columns / Group). You can also check the Properties of the item to see what type of Smartsheet item it is (File > Properties). The window that pops up will show a blue Report icon next to the name, like so:

When you Sort a Report, this sorts/organizes all of the rows, regardless of hierarchy in the source sheet.

Let me know if this was the cause!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Anne Bolsius

When you sort a sheet with hierarchy, the child rows will be sorted but kept beneath their parent row. The parent rows will also be sorted but their sub-items will move with them. (See: Sort Rows to Organize Your Data).

Is it possible that the Team Task Board is actually a Report, not a sheet? Reports have a slightly different header toolbar with the Report options (such as Sheet / Columns / Group). You can also check the Properties of the item to see what type of Smartsheet item it is (File > Properties). The window that pops up will show a blue Report icon next to the name, like so:

When you Sort a Report, this sorts/organizes all of the rows, regardless of hierarchy in the source sheet.

Let me know if this was the cause!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Hi Genevieve,

Thanks for your comment, you solved my question! I am now aware that I did not consistently add the parent-child relationship, hence I got confused. Both are sheets but I was thinking to work with a report instead, thanks for the heads-up about the different sorting functionality.

Thanks again!!

Kind regards,

Anne

• Hi Anne,

No problem! I'm glad you were able to figure out the cause. 🙂