Parent and Child Status Formula

Hi,

I'm hoping to create a Formula in my parent row to state if both child row's marked as complete then Parent row will automatically mark as Complete.

Is this possible?

Thanks!

Tags:

Best Answer

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/15/21 Answer ✓

Hi @Calum Miller

Hope you are fine, the following formula will work with you whatsoever the count of the children under the parent (if All child row's marked as complete then Parent row will automatically mark as Complete), please try it.

=IF(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Complete") = (COUNT(CHILDREN())), "Complete")

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/15/21 Answer ✓

Hi @Calum Miller

Hope you are fine, the following formula will work with you whatsoever the count of the children under the parent (if All child row's marked as complete then Parent row will automatically mark as Complete), please try it.

=IF(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Complete") = (COUNT(CHILDREN())), "Complete")

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Calum Miller
    Calum Miller ✭✭
    edited 02/15/21

Hi Bassam,

Thanks for reaching out!

It did! However, I was wrong in how I wanted it to work;

What I actually want is to be able to the status column in Parent row to represent the overall status of all child rows.

For example if all child rows = Not Started the Parent Row would = Not Started, however if one of child row = completed, and other two in progress, Parent row would = In progress

Is that possible?

Thanks!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!