Can I copy user permissions from one sheet to another sheet?

I have about 100 users with Viewer access to a sheet and I want to copy them all to have Viewer access to my dashboard. I cannot find an option to copy them over.

My only options I've found are:

1. Recreate each user and their permissions for all of the sheets I want to grant them access to
  2. Grant access at the Root level

I'm hoping to not do either of these as we have other sheets I'd like to keep everyone out of within the Root level. I may need to create a new folder to dump these in and go that way, but hoping for a copy permissions option.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Best Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Jeffrey Hemberger

Hope you are fine, it's better for permission control to create groups for your users and assign permission for each group due as per your targets.

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Jeffrey Hemberger

I hope you're well and safe!

You could either use groups or create a workspace and share the workspace instead, and then everything in the workspace would be shared with the same permissions (if you don't change/add to specific items)

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Jeffrey Hemberger

Hope you are fine, it's better for permission control to create groups for your users and assign permission for each group due as per your targets.

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Jeffrey Hemberger

I hope you're well and safe!

You could either use groups or create a workspace and share the workspace instead, and then everything in the workspace would be shared with the same permissions (if you don't change/add to specific items)

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Thank you Bassam and Andree,

I do have a Workspace created with folders under there for Active Projects, Closed Projects, Testing, Reports, etc. I'm trying to avoid granting them permission at the folder levels.

I do like the option to create a group and add them, then I can add the groups to the sheet for permissions. I think that could be very manageable, especially as we continue to grow this out across our footprint.

Copying permissions like I was hoping to do will probably end up getting messy and sloppy, and the groups should keep things nice and up to date. Thank you both for the advice and I will go that route.

Also, yes, I am well, however we have been very cold here in Fargo, North Dakota, USA. :) It has been 12 days below 0 degrees F. We are excited for the warmer weather this next week to get out and enjoy the sunshine.

I hope you all stay safe, and warm, as well.

Best wishes,

Jeff Hemberger, PMP

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Jeffrey Hemberger

Excellent!

You're more than welcome!