Referencing cells that use brackets in their name

Hi all

I'm trying to create some graphs for my workshop. No problem for the most, but some referenced cells have brackets in the name, and it seems to be making the formula in these columns unparseable.

For example. This works:

=SUMIFS({SHEET Range 2}, {SHEET Range 1}, [PROBLEM A 1]$1, {SHEET Range 3}, Date@row)

This doesn't

=SUMIFS({SHEET Range 2}, {SHEET Range 1}, [PROBLEM (B) 1]$1, {SHEET Range 3}, Date@row)

It seems the problem lies in the PROBLEM (B) part of the equation. But I can't change this cell information (ie - remove the brackets) as it also feeds many other organisation sheets outside of my sphere.

How do I make this formula parseable?

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Tim Silvester 

Hope you are fine, could you please supply a screenshot for your sheet  (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing)

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Hi @Tim Silvester

I agree, it would be helpful to see a screen capture of how your formula is showing up in the sheet, if possible.

I'd like to see how the column name is highlighted... I tested this in my own sheet and columns with brackets like this should still be find to use in formulas, either in-sheet formulas or as criteria in cross-sheet formulas.

The column name will highlight in a specific colour if it's being recognized in the formula:

Is it possible that there's something else going on in the formula that would cause it to provide an error? Could you copy/paste the exact syntax you are using?

Cheers!

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• I am having the same issue - smartsheet is recognizing the parenthesis as if it is part of the formula itself instead of part of the text. I get the #UNPARSEABLE too

• HI @Houghtonm

Can you post a screen capture of the formula and your sheet's column headers? But block out sensitive data.

Thanks!

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!