Data Mesh - Not matching some lookup values and not mapping data

Options
Julie Hinton
Julie Hinton ✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

Hello,

I am using Data Mesh for the first time to move data from multiple source sheets into one target sheet. I've completed my first configuration from one source sheet to the target. I ran the configuration and a lot of the rows in target sheet were updated, but some were not. I've gone back to make sure that the values in booth lookup fields are identical (the columns even have identical names), but still some of the rows will update correctly, and some will not.

I am working from a client ID as the lookup value, and the values I am trying to copy over are just a name of an item and a date.

When I look at the run report it shows success, but also shows "Total Formula Cells skipped = 168" (see screenshot).

The only thing that I can think of is that the lookup value in both sheets is the result of a simple calculation (pulling a numerical value out of a string using the LEFT function). Would this cause the error? If so, why would some of the rows update and some will not? I'm lost

🤔

Best Answer

• Julie Hinton
    Julie Hinton ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

After sleeping on it, and setting up a new copy sheet to test the mesh, I found the issue.

Some of the cells, not all, still had the old vlookup formula in the cell, therefore DataMesh skipped those cells and did not update them even though I had selected to overwrite the existing data.

So I learned that if there is a formula in the cell the data will not be transferred. I was finally able to get to the issue by looking carefully at the run preview and noting one of the rows showing an error.

Answers

• Julie Hinton
    Julie Hinton ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

After sleeping on it, and setting up a new copy sheet to test the mesh, I found the issue.

Some of the cells, not all, still had the old vlookup formula in the cell, therefore DataMesh skipped those cells and did not update them even though I had selected to overwrite the existing data.

So I learned that if there is a formula in the cell the data will not be transferred. I was finally able to get to the issue by looking carefully at the run preview and noting one of the rows showing an error.

• Josh Reed
    Josh Reed ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

To add to this the same scenario is true using Datashuttle, but in the Datashuttle interface it will not allow you to map any columns containing column formulas, perhaps this feature should be added to Datamesh?