Enforce Unique File Attachments

Previously there was an option to either allow versioning of attached files or to enforce unique entries. I've skimmed through notes and questions and do not see if that is still a capability or if it has been retired. Would appreciate if anyone could point me to the location to make this administrative change to enforce that files attached/edited do not create a new version but rather a new document.

Tags:

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Taylor Compton - NOAA Federal

There currently isn't a way to disable the option to upload a Version of an attachment. That said, even when users upload a Version this is still recognized as a "new document" and does not fully replace the old version. The previous version is still stored in Smartsheet and can be accessed and downloaded by clicking the Version Number (see this Help Center Article for more information: Keep File Attachments Current).

System Admins on Enterprise plans can restrict where the file is coming from (ex. from a desktop, or from third-party cloud storage services), but not whether or not this file is a Version or a separate attachment. See: Manage Global Account Settings.

Cheers!

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Taylor Compton - NOAA Federal

There currently isn't a way to disable the option to upload a Version of an attachment. That said, even when users upload a Version this is still recognized as a "new document" and does not fully replace the old version. The previous version is still stored in Smartsheet and can be accessed and downloaded by clicking the Version Number (see this Help Center Article for more information: Keep File Attachments Current).

System Admins on Enterprise plans can restrict where the file is coming from (ex. from a desktop, or from third-party cloud storage services), but not whether or not this file is a Version or a separate attachment. See: Manage Global Account Settings.

Cheers!

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Good morning @Genevieve P ,

Thanks for your response. I know that the user has the choice at upload, so I wasn't sure if that was something manageable or not. Figure training and documentation would be needed to standardize uploads. Thanks.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!