formula to show fiscal year

Options

Hi everyone,

I have a sheet of publications and I am trying to add a column to list the fiscal year of publication. Our fiscal year is July-June. I'm trying to write an If statement, but its not working out.

Best Answer

• Heather Duff
    Heather Duff ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi Katie,

Try this, where [Pub Date] is the publication date column. This assumes that your FY running from July 2020-June 2021 is FY21.

=IF(MONTH([Pub Date]@row) > 6, YEAR([Pub Date]@row) + 1, YEAR([Date]@row))

This translates to If the month of the date in the specified field is later than June, add 1 to the year. If not, display the year of that date.

Let me know if it works for you!

Best,

Heather

Answers

• Heather Duff
    Heather Duff ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi Katie,

Try this, where [Pub Date] is the publication date column. This assumes that your FY running from July 2020-June 2021 is FY21.

=IF(MONTH([Pub Date]@row) > 6, YEAR([Pub Date]@row) + 1, YEAR([Date]@row))

This translates to If the month of the date in the specified field is later than June, add 1 to the year. If not, display the year of that date.

Let me know if it works for you!

Best,

Heather

• Katie Barnett
    Options

Thanks! That worked perfectly

• Heather Duff
    Heather Duff ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Fantastic! Glad it worked. Have a great weekend.

• I tried the formula and i am getting a #unparseable error message. Can you clarify if there are specific reasons why I am getting this error message? I currently have a couple conditional formatting being used on the "Actual IMP Date" column I am trying to build my formula from...also, my new "FY" column is set to Text/number...i don't know what I am doing wrong...help???

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!