Referring to a single cell in an Automation message

David Dolch
David Dolch ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 03/25/24 in Smartsheet Basics

Is there any way to refer to a single static cell in an Automation's message. I know that I can use {{COLUMN NAME}} to refer to the specific row value in a given column, but I am looking for something where I can refer to {{COLUMN NAME}}ROW NUMBER

I am the owner / admin of a Control Center deployment that creates project packages for my project managers. The Project Plan pulls in the Project Title and Project Manager name from a Metadata sheet.

I would like the Automation I have built in have messages that say "PROJECT MANAGER" is requesting an update in relation to "PROJECT NAME". Right now my name is all over these updates since I am the owner / admin and it confuses some of the cross functional teams.

I know I could put hidden helper columns with the Project Name and Project Manager listed in the entire column. While I think that sometimes helper columns are very inelegant solution to what should be simple functionality, I would use them in this case if I could populate them with a column formula. However I cannot use a specific cell reference with a column formula.

The issue with using a "regular" formula instead of a column formula is that my users insert and delete rows as necessary, so now I have a chance of the system sending out automated requests with blanks in the messaging. Not a very professional solution.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks

Best Answer

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

If you have access to the Sheet Summary fields, you can reference one of those and set it as a column formula.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• David Dolch
    David Dolch ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paul Newcome Thank you. That works. I never realized that you can make a Sheet Summary a Column Formula.

It is still a clunky solution. Use a cell to pull the data from my Metadata sheet, then use Sheet Summary to pull that value into the a Summary Cell, and then use a column formula to pull that single value into an entire column, so that I can then populate that single value into a Automation Email. But IT WORKS. I will take it. Thanks for sharing how you figured out to do this.

Sometimes getting something done in SS requires a little creativity. I just document how I did everything because I know I will not be in this role forever, and the next person that comes along is going to have no idea what is going on.

Thanks again !

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't know either until I tested it right before posting my response. Haha.

Happy to help. 👍️

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• SPB
    SPB ✭✭✭

Hello!

What if we don't have access to the Sheet Summary field?

I'm using the PMO Template Set, and the grid Sheet Summary tab is locked, even for owners.

Thank you!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @SPB

I hope you're well and safe!

Strange!

Can you share some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help.

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• SPB
    SPB ✭✭✭

Thanks, @Andrée Starå .

Of course, it helps to subscribe to the right plan 🙄

I have full enterprise access at work, and forgot my own home biz doesn't have same access!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@SPB

Happy to help!

Haha! Easy to miss!

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.