Creating templates of multiple sheets that share data

DanR
DanR ✭✭✭✭

Hello. I've created a set of SmartSheets for running construction projects that share data through formula references. How can I make a template set for these sheets so they'll still share data amongst themselves when they're used to create a new project? The only thing I'm seeing in the help files is for saving individual sheets as templates. When I do that, I have to set up all the formula references again in the new set of sheets. This requires an advanced licensed user who understands how these formulas work. I'd like to create a simpler solution. Is Control Center the only way to do this?

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @DanR

I hope you're well and safe!

If you add everything to a folder or Workspace, you can use the Save as new feature to have everything be connected.

Make sense?

Control Center does much more than that.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@DanR

To add.

I'd recommend creating a so-called Intake Process, and that sheet would then be connected to the template structure.

Make sense?

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• DanR
    DanR ✭✭✭✭

HI Andre. Thanks for such a prompt answer. I just want to confirm my understanding of your suggestions.

All of the single project files are currently in a workspace. It sounds like you're saying I should just Save as New the entire current workspace of active SmartSheets into a new workspace. Is this correct? I'm just wondering if there's a way to have them all saved as templates within the workspace that I Save as New. I suppose ultimately I could create a Workspace of active sheets, empty them of data, and name the workspace Project Template, but it would be nice to have the the individual sheets saved as templates so they don't count against our total sheet count.

I like your suggestion of the Intake Process. Currently, I have one main data sheet that should suffice. Once they fill that out all the other sheets should get the info they need. But I'll keep this in mind as I design other sheet groups. Thanks.