Can smartsheet limit the number of selections to a multi select drop down list?

For example, I'd like to do the following on a form using a multi-select drop-down list.

Please choose up to 3 of the below options.

Option 1

Option 2

Option 3

Option 4

Option 5

Option 6

Tags:

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

There is no way to strictly limit the number of selections, but there are a number of ways to alert/inform users.

You could use the help text within the form to instruct them to only select 3.

You could set up a helper column that counts the number of suggestions and (if over 3) send an automated update request.

Conditional formatting can highlight the rows that are over 3 selections (based on the above mentioned helper column).

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

There is no way to strictly limit the number of selections, but there are a number of ways to alert/inform users.

You could use the help text within the form to instruct them to only select 3.

You could set up a helper column that counts the number of suggestions and (if over 3) send an automated update request.

Conditional formatting can highlight the rows that are over 3 selections (based on the above mentioned helper column).

• Hi Paul and thanks for your suggestions. I think I mentioned I need this implemented on a form. I think my best option might be to create 3 separate columns and then just change the properties to drop down single select. Then I can include a "Heading/Description" on the form that informs them to select up to 3 options.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. I saw where you wanted it on a form, but it isn't exactly possible directly within the form itself using the multi-select option. That's why I presented the other options.

I actually meant to include something about using separate single select columns in my first post but then my mind went down a rabbit trail, and the thought got lost. Sorry about that.