Why are ALL rows on the Auto-Number/System Column filled?

Options

Hi all,

My apologies if this comes across as a stupid question, but can anyone please help me understand why ALL rows in the Auto-Number/System column are filled?

Is it possible to format this column so that the automatic numbering system only assigns a number once other data is input into the row in question?

The reason I ask is because I am building a Risk log and would like to implement a Risk ID column, which is the Auto-number/system column in question. As it stands, the sheet has automatically filled in 50 rows with corresponding IDs, and I would rather these are only assigned once data has been input into the rows in question.

Many thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Kind regards,

Gerhard

Best Answer

• Malaina Hudson
    Malaina Hudson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi, @Gerhard da Costa Pinto ,

In your risk log, do you have a formula that has been converted to a column formula? If so, your auto-generated ID will populate all exposed (50) rows because it recognizes the formula as data in the row even though you haven't yet input a risk to be numbered. There might be other causes of this, but this is one that I've experienced in my environment.

Answers

• Malaina Hudson
    Malaina Hudson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi, @Gerhard da Costa Pinto ,

In your risk log, do you have a formula that has been converted to a column formula? If so, your auto-generated ID will populate all exposed (50) rows because it recognizes the formula as data in the row even though you haven't yet input a risk to be numbered. There might be other causes of this, but this is one that I've experienced in my environment.

• Hi @Malaina Hudson , thank you so much for getting back to me. While I did in fact have a column converted to a column formula, I don't think this was the cause behind the issue, particularly as I introduced the formula column after registering the issue with the auto-numbering system.

However, your suggestion made me realise that it is very likely that the cause was the fact that before introducing the auto-numbering system I had already input data across several rows of the sheet. I did delete all data before introducing the numbering system, but I guess Smartsheet still recognizes those rows as being "activated".

I have recreated the document from scratch and am not having that issue at the moment.

Once again, thank you so much for your suggestion and willingness to help me, it is much appreciated!

Kind regards,

Gerhard

• Malaina Hudson
    Malaina Hudson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Gerhard da Costa Pinto ,

I'm glad that was helpful for you! Have a great day.