Automated way to move "Comments" (Conversations in Smartsheet) from column to Conversations

Jennifer McNeely
Jennifer McNeely ✭✭✭
edited 03/29/21 in Formulas and Functions

Hi, I have a team maintaining an Action Tracker. All are relatively new to Smartsheet from Excel and most are at a higher pay grade than me. As such, they asked for a "Comments" column in the Action Item grid to track DAILY actions and updates. As you can imagine the row sizes are quickly becoming unmanageable.

Is there any way to write a formula or create an automatic workflow to transfer those items to the real Conversations area where they belong? If not, how do I request this be considered for future development? It is a real headache for those of us administering Smartsheet in an Excel-addicted world.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Jennifer McNeely

I hope you're well and safe!

Unfortunately, it's not possible now, but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

Here's a possible workaround or workarounds

• It might be possible to structure a solution with the 3rd party service, Zapier.
    • It might also be possible with the Smartsheet API.

Would any of those options work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi Jennifer!

Thanks for writing in! I am the PM for Conversations and would love to chat with you about your use case and some solutions we are currently considering. I would be grateful if you can set time for us to chat using this link: https://calendly.com/urmila-kukreja/30min. I look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks,

Urmila

• Hi Urmila,

Is there a resolution to this yet. I have a similar situation. Our team members have varying degrees of familiarity with Smartsheets. As a result redundant rows on the same topic are created s.t. relevant information is distributed across the redundant row. As a manager of a highly distributed team, I would like the ability to merge the information (including comments and attached files) in multiple rows. I will submit a enhancement request as well.

• @urmila.kukreja - I'm interested in this thread as well. I have a scenario where we are collecting comments through a form and then want to push those comments to the conversation section. I'm pretty sure that I have submitted this as an enhancement request previously.

• Jake Gustafson
    Jake Gustafson ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I am also interested in this. My use case doesn't seem as frequent, more of a weekly or every other week update, but the notes get to be pretty lengthy and there are space concerns (character limits).

Is there a cell limitation for how many characters are allowed?

Is there a Conversations limitation in how many threads can exist? Our row items are long lasting projects that will have 50+ entries at least.

I have toyed with the Last Comment Column, but even that has a limitation in how many characters it will display, so I haven't found great success with that functionality.

• Danielle Arteaga
    Danielle Arteaga ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@urmila.kukreja - Any update on this? I have about 2.5K rows of "comments" in cells that should be in conversations, and manually cutting-pasting them makes me want to cry. 😂 Would appreciate your insights. Thanks.

• Hi Danielle,

Yes that kind of manual repetitive work would also make me cry! Have you considered setting up a Latest Comment Column? https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/2482475-latest-comment-column

This would let you see the latest update at-a-glance in the sheet but also get all the benefits such as tagging someone and having threaded conversations in the context of work. The column easily links to the conversation panel so you can scroll to see past comments if you need the history.

• JCardinal
    JCardinal ✭✭✭✭

@urmila.kukreja I am also interested in a solution for this. My use case is to take a form notes column and automatically move it to a row comment.

Or, being able to add a comments field/column to a form would also work. If any one is interested in that feature, you can upvote it here: https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/100259/form-fields-to-include-comments

Joanna Cardinal (she, her, hers)

• I am still watching and waiting on this request. We make liberal use of forms in our organization and I am basically militant about not allowing Comments columns in data sheets. Please advise and thank you!

• Hello,

I'm interested in this as well! My use case is I currently add latest update in custom field on Summary Page. I then copy that latest update to the conversation space so I can maintain the history of updates. I don't want to link these updates to specific rows. I would love for that Summary Page Status Update field to automatically append the conversation history. I'm open to other options as well that don't involve copy/paste.

Thanks!

Chris

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!