View Options

Options

We use Smartsheet for our logistics business, from booking until invoicing. One row has appr. 160 columns. Currently we use excel for data input, as we can put the data for 1 row in a spreadsheet overview. If we use the row view from Smartsheet, there is only one column and all items are below one another.

I added a screenshot of the excel file. The dark green fields are column headers, and the inputted data are the rows. We upload the data from each excel form and copy this to the main Smartsheet for our operations.

Ideally I would be able to see a Smartsheet row in this excel lay out. Is there such a view option, or can it be created? (for example, a dashbord view that I can design based on the columns in my grid?

Right now, we created a downloadable PDF so we have a easy overview, but of course, we cannot update any data through that.

Can anybody tell me whether the row view is the best Smartsheet can offer, or I can design my own "dashbord" per row from my grid?

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Mathijs Muller

Hope you are fine, you can do that by creating an intake sheet to collect the data the create a summary sheet with the format you added and collect the data from the intake sheet by using a different option like Cell Linking & Vlookup & Index with Match.

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Mathijs Muller

I hope you're well and safe!

You could either mimic the design in a Smartsheet sheet or a Dashboard.

It would also be possible to build it, so you select a record to show in the sheet or Dashboard, and everything updates.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Mathijs Muller
    Options

@Andrée Starå thanks for your comment. I am not sure if I am following you though.

We have to update row data during the process, so it is not only for the first data input. Is it possible to view a row in a dashbord I designed, update the data, and copy it back (or save it) back in the row of my original smartsheet?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/31/21
    Options

@Mathijs Muller

Happy to help!

That makes it trickier.

I'd be happy to take a quick look.

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@workbold.com)

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Mathijs Muller
    Options

@Andrée Starå Thanks. But if I understand you correctly, there is no such option yet? Basically we want to covert the grid view in a dashbord fee that we can design ourselves. The row view is not sufficient, as we have over 180 colums.

To go a step further, it would be perfect to be able to design multiple "dashbord views". It would make sense to link this with the "generate forms" tool. If I can view a form I designed, and I can make updates on that form (which is saved in the columns of my smartsheet as well), that would be perfect.

We did design a PDF dashbord view, and PDF documents for invoicing, but as the form is only visible as PDF, we need to input the date in the row,- or grid view, which is not the most ideal option.