Global Update Formulas Blank?

Jonathan Gann
Jonathan Gann ✭✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

Regarding Control Center Global Update:

I went to add an index/match formula column to a metadata sheet in order to label every line with a unique ID (which is shared across a single project otherwise). When it brought up the preview, the column was entirely blank -- Is this normal? It wasn't adding a column formula, nor a cell formula to any of the cells involved.

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @Jonathan Gann

Yes, I believe that's correct. The links show broken in the preview but should push correctly when the Global Update is applied.

However, if your previously provisioned projects don't have the specific cross sheet references already set up, you may receive an "Invalid Reference" error on the new applied formula since the references don't exist; you would need to go into these sheets and manually create the reference (directing it to the right sheet/column, etc. See: Manage Cross Sheet References). Does that make sense? The formula will be created/applied throughout your projects, so the structure and content is there, you would just need to update where the references are looking.

It may be better to discuss your specific situation via a private channel so you can share your screen. Based on your account, you are eligible to book a Pro Desk session (from this link: https://www.smartsheet.com/pro-desk) where you can discuss Global Updates over a screen share and can show what you're seeing to a Smartsheet employee. The System Admin for your organization will have your account's access code.

I hope this helps!

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.

Hi @Jonathan Gann

Would you be able to provide some screen captures of what you're describing? (But please block out any sensitive data). You note that this isn't a column formula, but should it be?

Adding a new column with a column formula cannot be done directly in the Global Update: Add New Column. The column formula first should be set up in the template sheet and then the global update is used to push that column to the existing project sheets. Where are you seeing the blank preview?

Cheers,

Genevieve

• I realized that the new columns can't 'create' the column formulas and that I should push them via the blueprint as you mentioned, so that's fine... However, I noticed that there are often broken links (external links) in the preview. This is just because it's a preview, so that it's not creating a bunch of unneeded links, correct? There's no danger to pushing the update if that is the only issue, yes?

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓

Hi @Jonathan Gann

Yes, I believe that's correct. The links show broken in the preview but should push correctly when the Global Update is applied.

However, if your previously provisioned projects don't have the specific cross sheet references already set up, you may receive an "Invalid Reference" error on the new applied formula since the references don't exist; you would need to go into these sheets and manually create the reference (directing it to the right sheet/column, etc. See: Manage Cross Sheet References). Does that make sense? The formula will be created/applied throughout your projects, so the structure and content is there, you would just need to update where the references are looking.

It may be better to discuss your specific situation via a private channel so you can share your screen. Based on your account, you are eligible to book a Pro Desk session (from this link: https://www.smartsheet.com/pro-desk) where you can discuss Global Updates over a screen share and can show what you're seeing to a Smartsheet employee. The System Admin for your organization will have your account's access code.

I hope this helps!

Genevieve