Answer if box is checked

Options

=IF([Estimate Qualifies]@row, 1, [Total Contract Revenue]@row * 0.005, 0)

how can I make this work?

Best Answer

Answers

• Debbie Sawyer
    Debbie Sawyer ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Samuel

When I am teaching people how to write IF functions, I always say to write it out in prose first. What are you trying to achieve?

If the estimate qualifies on the row that I am on is ???? then set the value to 1 otherwise multiply the total contract revenue on the row that I am on with 0.005.

This is how I read your IF function above. Is the logic correct?

The first part about Estimate Qualifies doesn't have the full expression in place - what do you want it to be to return a 1?

The logic is:

If this expression is true then return this value else return that one. The if here is the function name, written in Caps with an = before it and an ( after it. The expression is true bit needs to refer to a column and a value to compare it against then you put a comma (which is the word then in the phrasing here). Then put in what value you want to return if the expression is true followed by a comma (which is written as an else in the logic) and then type in what to do if the expression is false, close you bracket and see if it worked.

See if this helps explain the function for you. If not, simply respond to this post with your written logic and the names of your columns and I'll help you write the correct syntax.

Good luck!

Kind regards

Debbie

• Samuel Dowdy Jr.
    Samuel Dowdy Jr. ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If the estimate qualifies is checked then times the total contract by .005, if its not check then 0

• Debbie Sawyer
    Debbie Sawyer ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

=IF([Estimate Qualifies]@row= 1, [Total Contract Revenue]@row * 0.005, 0)

• Debbie Sawyer
    Debbie Sawyer ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hey - Glad that worked - just an extra comma after all that :) Well done!

• Samuel Dowdy Jr.
    Samuel Dowdy Jr. ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

thank you for the quicjk response!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!