Several Questions - "Permanent" Filters, Punch-list Items Log, Free Users, and Change Log?

• Can we create “permanent” filters in Smartsheet? In other words, for a filter I use over and over that I want to be able to simply “click” and apply?
    • We want to record punch-list items for our construction project. Punch-list items are those items that require immediate attention by us or our vendors. The punch-list items would apply to the tasks in our Smartsheet.
      • Is “Comments” the best way for us to record these?
        • If not, then where would be the best place to do this?
        • If so, then how can we get all of the Comments cleanly all in one place (like a nice print-off)?
  • Can free users respond to Comments?
  • Also: I like to record/keep a log of the changes I made to a spreadsheet. In Excel I add a tab and do this. I don’t want to put this info in the Comments section of the Smartsheet since I feel that is more reserved for action items / punch list (Smartsheet to confirm). Where would you recommend a log of changes made to the Smartsheet is captured?

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @ExcelIsForLosers

I hope you're well and safe!

Please see my comments/answers below.

• Can we create “permanent” filters in Smartsheet? In other words, for a filter I use over and over that I want to be able to simply “click” and apply?

[Andrée Starå] Yes.

• We want to record punch-list items for our construction project. Punch-list items are those items that require immediate attention by us or our vendors. The punch-list items would apply to the tasks in our Smartsheet.
      • Is “Comments” the best way for us to record these?
        • If not, then where would be the best place to do this?

[Andrée Starå] In a punch-list sheet, but it depends.

• If so, then how can we get all of the Comments cleanly all in one place (like a nice print-off)?

[Andrée Starå] In columns or the conversation area and then copied over or "synced to be able to print", proofing might also be an excellent solution.

• Also: I like to record/keep a log of the changes I made to a spreadsheet. In Excel I add a tab and do this. I don’t want to put this info in the Comments section of the Smartsheet since I feel that is more reserved for action items / punch list (Smartsheet to confirm). Where would you recommend a log of changes made to the Smartsheet is captured?

[Andrée Starå] Sheet summary or a specific sheet/area.

• Can free users respond to Comments?

[Andrée Starå] Yes.

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@workbold.com)

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.