Summing values for a specific date from a date range

Hi all,

I have a project sheet with Start and End dates for tasks, as well as a Percent of Team's Time column that tells me how much of my team's capacity will be used on that task.

I want to sum up how much of my team's capacity will be used on any given day, since there are multiple tasks with overlapping date ranges they are happening. I have created a table with dates:

I am trying to figure out how to create a sumif formula that looks at the Date column, determines if that date is between the Start and End date of a task on my project, then sums the % of Team's capacity column. Really at a loss on how to do that, would appreciate any help!

Tags:

Best Answer

• Heather Duff
    Heather Duff ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Aidan Connell ,

Is your summary in a separate sheet or the same sheet? If it's in the same sheet, your formula will look like this:

=SUM(COLLECT([% of Team's Capacity]:[% of Team's Capacity], [Start Date]:[Start Date], <=Date@row, [End Date]:[End Date], >=Date@row))

If it's in a separate sheet and you're using cross-sheet references, it will look like this, where {capacity} is the name for [% of Team's Capacity] column, {start} is the name of [Start Date] column, and {end} is the name of [End Date] column:

=SUM(COLLECT({capacity}, {start}, <=Date@row, {end}, >=Date@row))

Hope this helps! Let me know if it works for you.

Best,

Heather

Answers

• Heather Duff
    Heather Duff ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Aidan Connell ,

Is your summary in a separate sheet or the same sheet? If it's in the same sheet, your formula will look like this:

=SUM(COLLECT([% of Team's Capacity]:[% of Team's Capacity], [Start Date]:[Start Date], <=Date@row, [End Date]:[End Date], >=Date@row))

If it's in a separate sheet and you're using cross-sheet references, it will look like this, where {capacity} is the name for [% of Team's Capacity] column, {start} is the name of [Start Date] column, and {end} is the name of [End Date] column:

=SUM(COLLECT({capacity}, {start}, <=Date@row, {end}, >=Date@row))

Hope this helps! Let me know if it works for you.

Best,

Heather

• @Heather D this worked like a charm! I was so close to cracking it, the collect piece was the missing link.

Thank you so much! Hope you have a great end of week and weekend

Aidan

• Heather Duff
    Heather Duff ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Aidan Connell

So glad it worked! Thank you - you have a great week/weekend as well!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!