sum the number values in a drop down box

Options

Hi all

Hoping for some help with this one please

column name is Units and it is a single select drop down box with the choices of selecting a number between 1 and 10 i would like to know if i can create a formula to sum the total i.e if one cell has 1 in it and the 1 below has 2 it sums it to 3 - seems easy if its just a numer in a cell but not if its a drop down box! any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Ashley

Best Answer

• Ashley Ryder
    Ashley Ryder ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi Mark

update to previous comment left - I changed column type to single select for Drop Down option and it worked which will do for me! - thank you for your contribution

Ashley

Answers

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Ashley Ryder ,

Try:

=SUMIF([drop down]:[drop down], ISNUMBER(@cell))

Replace [drop down]:[drop down] with the name of the column you want summed.

Work?

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• Ashley Ryder
    Options

Hi Mark thank you for responding have tried it and it returns a value of 0 which is unusual as normally get the dreaded unparsable error so part of the formula is calculating something ?!?

Regards

Ashley

• Ashley Ryder
    Ashley Ryder ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi Mark

update to previous comment left - I changed column type to single select for Drop Down option and it worked which will do for me! - thank you for your contribution

Ashley

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!