Import excel file to existing SM

Hi All,

Im starting my journey with the Smartsheet.

I wonder if you can advise.

What I want to achieve. Export data from SM to Excel file. Change existing data, add maybe new rows, etc. Then import Excel file to the same SM to be able to update the data at the end in SM. I want f course keep the Sheet ID.

Currently when im trying to import a new Sheet ID is created and in fact im not updateing the orginal file but createing a new.

Thank you

Gosia

Best Answer

• Seth Morth
    Seth Morth ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

If though you do not change COLUMNS you can export from a Smartsheet to an .xls, manipulate, and re-import but you'd have to delete the original Smartsheet, and then rename the new Smartsheet to be the name of the original one.

What I have done, and you can do, is simply copy cels en masse from a .xls into a Smartsheet (or back and forth). This works well, but you are limited to 500 rows at a time.

To do this, just grab them, copy them, and paste them. This seems more cumbersome but gives you a lot of dexterity and goes pretty quick; you also do not have to rename/remap/relink any existing Smartsheets.

There is a guide here:

I hope this helps!

Answers

• Seth Morth
    Seth Morth ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

If though you do not change COLUMNS you can export from a Smartsheet to an .xls, manipulate, and re-import but you'd have to delete the original Smartsheet, and then rename the new Smartsheet to be the name of the original one.

What I have done, and you can do, is simply copy cels en masse from a .xls into a Smartsheet (or back and forth). This works well, but you are limited to 500 rows at a time.

To do this, just grab them, copy them, and paste them. This seems more cumbersome but gives you a lot of dexterity and goes pretty quick; you also do not have to rename/remap/relink any existing Smartsheets.

There is a guide here:

I hope this helps!

• Thank you for your note.

Looks like I will be not able to achive what I want.

My Smartsheet file contains more than 500 rows and there are more and more.

• Seth Morth
    Seth Morth ✭✭✭✭✭

To be clear you can copy stuff, on a massive sheet, but you just have to do it in "chunks" of 500.

So if you have 3,000 rows you have to copy/paste 6 times.