SUMIFS

Del Horne
Del Horne ✭✭✭✭
edited 12/08/21 in Formulas and Functions

Hi,

I'm looking to sum the cells in a column if another corresponding column is either of two values. I'm getting #UNPARSEABLE though! 😕

=SUMIFS({Data Range Spend}, {Data Range Award Type}, OR(@cell = "Direct Award”, @cell = "Mini-Competition”))

Any thoughts welcome!

Thanks,

Derek

Tags:

Best Answer

• Heather Duff
    Heather Duff ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Del Horne ,

This looks like you'll just need a SUMIF. Here's what you'll use:

=SUMIFS({Data Range Award Type}, OR(@cell = "Direct Award”, @cell = "Mini-Competition”),{Data Range Spend})

Note that I moved the range you want to sum to the end, because (for some strange reason) the summed data is at the end in a SUMIF instead of the beginning, as in SUMIFS.

Hope this helps!

Best,

Heather

Answers

• Heather Duff
    Heather Duff ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Del Horne ,

This looks like you'll just need a SUMIF. Here's what you'll use:

=SUMIFS({Data Range Award Type}, OR(@cell = "Direct Award”, @cell = "Mini-Competition”),{Data Range Spend})

Note that I moved the range you want to sum to the end, because (for some strange reason) the summed data is at the end in a SUMIF instead of the beginning, as in SUMIFS.

Hope this helps!

Best,

Heather

• Del Horne
    Del Horne ✭✭✭✭

Thanks @Heather D – also turns out the issue was I had pasted in the formula from TextEdit and the smart quotes came over too. Must remember to convert to plain text! 🤣

• Hello. Hope everyone is well. I'm having issues with a =SUMIF OR =SUMIFS formula

=SUMIFS({Fed Admin FTE Usage}, >0, {Employment Status}, "On-Board")

I'm getting invalid operation. Please help.

• Heather Duff
    Heather Duff ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @MoJones ,

You are missing one component - the range you want to sum.

=SUMIFS({name of range you want to sum}, {Fed Admin FTE Usage}, >0, {Employment Status}, "On-Board")

That should do the trick - just replace the bolded part with the actual name of the range. If you're wanting the FTE Usage range, you can put that in there.

Hope this helps - let me know if it works!

Best,

Heather

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!