sumif - QUESTION

Options

Hi there,

I know this is easy but I just can't remember how to do this.

Working on one sheet. One column is a type, the other column is a value. I want to sum the value of each type. Here's a snapshot and thank you for your help.

Thank you,

Rebecca

Answers

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Rebecca Panaccione ,

You'll need a separate formula for each type. The formula would be:

=SUMIF([type]:[type], "Sick Leave", [value]:[value])

Substitute your column names for my type and value placeholders.

Work?

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• Hi Mark,

It's still unparseable. I probably didn't provide enough information. My sheet is pretty primitive, so if you know of a better method, I would appreciate that. One sheet per person. I'm tracking leave for an entire academic year. My thought was to drag the formula down the column as leave is added. Or I can just formulate the entire column. I'm wondering if I should separate the type into columns and just keep running totals. But if you can help me with the formula above, it may work better with the sheet overall. An @call or @row formula?

What do you think?

Rebecca

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Rebecca,

You can do it this way but you have to limit the ranges because your count formulas are in the same column.

Try:

=SUMIF([type of leave]1:[type of leave]22, "Sick Leave", [days]1:[days]22)

You'll need to adjust the 1 and 22 to reflect the first and last rows with data, or you can end with the row before your "totals".

Work?

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!