Send update request to non smartsheet user.

Hi All,

I am currently trying to explore on the function of "Send update request" to complete the missing information of a project. There are a lot of people that I need to use this function to get some updates from them.

Many of them are my colleague and they are not smartsheet user. And we don't want them to enter or see our database in smartsheet as well.

When I use this function to them, they are not able to fill anything in the update form. All editable field turn out become a box and not editable to them.

May I know does this function is not support to non smartsheet user? Besides share them the smartsheet access what else we can do to solve this issue?

Thanks.

Best Answer

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Jacelyn Lok 

Hope you are fine

Request fields that appear as read only

Some information can't be edited from an update request depending on the how cells in a sheet are being used. These cells can only be edited in the sheet directly by signing in to Smartsheet.

The following fields will appear as read-only in an update request:

• Fields that contain formulas
    • Start Dates and Finish Dates with a dependency (the Duration field can be edited)
    • Predecessors (this field won't appear in an update request)
    • Locked columns

How locked rows and columns appear

• Locked rows will be sent in an update request if the recipient has Editor-level sharing permissions or lower, but the recipient will not be able to make any edits.
    • If the update request recipient is the sheet Owner or shared with Admin-level permissions, locked rows and columns will be editable from the update requests

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Jacelyn Lok 

Hope you are fine

Request fields that appear as read only

Some information can't be edited from an update request depending on the how cells in a sheet are being used. These cells can only be edited in the sheet directly by signing in to Smartsheet.

The following fields will appear as read-only in an update request:

• Fields that contain formulas
    • Start Dates and Finish Dates with a dependency (the Duration field can be edited)
    • Predecessors (this field won't appear in an update request)
    • Locked columns

How locked rows and columns appear

• Locked rows will be sent in an update request if the recipient has Editor-level sharing permissions or lower, but the recipient will not be able to make any edits.
    • If the update request recipient is the sheet Owner or shared with Admin-level permissions, locked rows and columns will be editable from the update requests

PMP Certified

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Jacelyn Lok

I hope you're well and safe!

Make sure that the fields that you want them to be able to update are unlocked.

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Jacelyn Lok

You are more than welcome 

PMP Certified