Link Form with specific row

Hi,

I have a following question.

I have two forms which are connected with my Smartsheet file. First form is populated by the employee and automatically a new row is created in Smartsheet and the form is attached to this new line as an attachment. I have aslo a second form which should be populated by me and attached to specific row (also some column should be filled in based on this form). Now each time I have populate this second form a new row is created and I do not know how t link it which the existing row?

Thank you!

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Małgorzata Nitecka-Kubicka

I hope you're well and safe!

I'd recommend starting the process with a form or an update request and then continuing with an update request.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi.

I started from the form population and then a New row is created in SM. However then I have a second form which I also have to fill in and this second form should be linked with specific defined row however I have no idea how to do it.

• MHuggs
    MHuggs ✭✭✭

Hi @Andrée Starå,

I have the same query as above. I have a form that is completed by a client that creates a new row. But I want another form that colleagues on my team can complete that will then populate different columns but I want both the client submission and my team's submission to be in the same row.

Update requests aren't really the thing I'm looking for as they would need to access the sheet - I really just want them to be able to access the form.

Thanks

• It seems to be very weird if there is no way to link more than one SM form with the same row.

Can anyone advise?

• As of right now Smartsheet does not have capabilities to use a form as a means of updating an existing row. It can only create new rows.

Hope this helps!

• Seems like a basic functionality is missing in an otherwise excellent product.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Update requests do work for this, and users do not necessarily need access to a sheet to fill out an update request.

• SJ Sellers
    SJ Sellers ✭✭✭✭

The advantage of using forms vs update requests is that you can provide more instruction and guidance to the users via Help Text in Forms. I would love if SmartSheet would allow us to use Forms in Update Request automations!!

• I also have this need for enterprise (30,000+ employees).

Update Requests are a workaround, but you have to select the columns you are requesting, one by one, for every request/row. This is not friendly when you have a standard form you want to send out to capture additional detail after prioritization of initial intake form data.

• SJ Sellers
    SJ Sellers ✭✭✭✭
    edited 09/27/22

Hi @Cory C. - If you set up an automation, you can define the columns you want to include globally and not have to set them up one by one.

As I mentioned upthread, I personally do not like this option because Forms offers "Help Text" which makes for a better user experience than automated update requests.

The obvious solution to this is for Smartsheet to integrate the Editor used to build Forms into the Update Request definitions.... So let us use an actual "form" when we "collect data from others with an easy-to-fill FORM"

• Is there any update to this? I would also like to send a form after the initial form to update information in line at a later date. However, we are asking external colleagues - we don't want them to see the sheet, that seems messy and a bit unprofessional. We don't want them to see the back-end work, we just want to be able to send a form to update information.

• Hi @amichaels

Update Requests are built specifically for this scenario; you can send a row to someone who is not shared to the sheet and ask them to update it. Here's more information: Update Requests

Cheers,

Genevieve

Need more help? 👀 | Help and Learning Center

こんにちは (Konnichiwa), Hallo, Hola, Bonjour, Olá, Ciao! 👋 | Global Discussions

• Has there been any update to link a form to a specific row? As others have mentioned, Update Requests as they currently function do not offer the same usability or customization.