Have lag be reduced when changing dates

Hello.

Is it possible to have a change in dates affect lag:

say I have a shipment coming in that I need for certain tasks. between this shipment coming and us needing to use it in the task several other tasks are being done. I therefor use a predecessors with lag to show/indicate which tasks are in need of this shipment. But say the shipment comes in slightly later, this wouldn't affect when the task can begin in real life, however this moves the task start date and forces me to manually calculate how long the new lag is.

Is it therefor possible to have the amount of lag automatically calculated. I only want the task's start date to be moved when the changes in the shipment's arrivals is greater than the lag time. (say it is delayed by 8 days and the lag is 7 days; I would want the tasks to be pushed 1 day instead of 8).

Thank you in advance.

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Frederic Vaeremans

No, there currently isn't a way for the dependent tasks to update the lag time if the Predecessor task changes dates, it will push the dependent task forward according to the previously set lag time. You will need to manually calculate the number of days and adjust the lag time to be shorter, as you've outlined above. Please let our Product team know about your specific use case and request by filling in this form, here!

Our Product team is working on enabling a Baseline feature within Smartsheet which may help with your scenario. I would suggest subscribing to our Release Notes page (here) so that you are notified as soon as there are any updates on this feature.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Frederic Vaeremans

No, there currently isn't a way for the dependent tasks to update the lag time if the Predecessor task changes dates, it will push the dependent task forward according to the previously set lag time. You will need to manually calculate the number of days and adjust the lag time to be shorter, as you've outlined above. Please let our Product team know about your specific use case and request by filling in this form, here!

Our Product team is working on enabling a Baseline feature within Smartsheet which may help with your scenario. I would suggest subscribing to our Release Notes page (here) so that you are notified as soon as there are any updates on this feature.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now