Using templates vs sheets in "template set"

Options

Hi,

I am creating template "sets" similar to what SmartSheet has created so that our workplan has the same related reports and dashboards for every project. Because we have a lot of users, I like the idea of having the main workplan in a template so that it cannot be overwritten. However, I noticed that in none of SmartSheet's template sets are their reports linked to actual "templates", rather they are linked to sheets, so I am wondering if it is even possible to create a template for my workplan if reports will be linked to it as part of our "template set". Sorry, confusing I know. Advice please.

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Teresa Suranyi

You're correct, the "Template" type of item in Smartsheet is specifically a template sheet (see: Create Your Own Template)

If you're looking to set up a structure that includes Reports and Dashboards, I would suggest creating your own "Template Folder" where you create regular Sheets and related items. Then your users can use the "Save as New" feature to copy the entire folder and structure (see: Copy a Folder or Workspace).

If you don't want them to edit the items in this folder, you could create the folder in a Workspace where they're only shared with Viewer permissions. (Perhaps you could use this one workspace to house all your possible template sets/folders?)

Let me know if this makes sense or if you'd like to see any screen captures!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!