Creating a workflow for a form.

Options

I have created a form and I cannot seem to get the workflow to work the way I want it to.

Here is what I want to happen.

1) Requestor fills out form and selects one approver from a drop-down list of approvers.

2) Request is sent only to the approver selected from the drop-down to approve or decline.

3) Once the selected approver has approved the request two people are notified that action is required by them. 

Any assistance is appreciated.

Pete

Best Answer

• Jen Lange
    Jen Lange ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Peter Hermges , is your approvers column a Contact List column type?

Assuming it is, then once the form submission adds a new record to the sheet with a selected approver, you could create an automated approval workflow in the sheet, which will be directed to the contact in the approver cell. Then if approved, you can notify a specific person(s), including a customized message if you choose.

Workflow settings are outlined below as an example. Replace "Detected By" with "Approver":

I hope this works well for you.

-Jen

If you appreciate my response, please recognize the effort with an "Insightful" or "Vote Up" selection. Thanks!

Answers

• Jen Lange
    Jen Lange ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Peter Hermges , is your approvers column a Contact List column type?

Assuming it is, then once the form submission adds a new record to the sheet with a selected approver, you could create an automated approval workflow in the sheet, which will be directed to the contact in the approver cell. Then if approved, you can notify a specific person(s), including a customized message if you choose.

Workflow settings are outlined below as an example. Replace "Detected By" with "Approver":

I hope this works well for you.

-Jen

If you appreciate my response, please recognize the effort with an "Insightful" or "Vote Up" selection. Thanks!

• Neil Watson
    Neil Watson ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Peter Hermges, which part is not working? 

• Peter Hermges
    Options

Thanks Jen, that is what I needed.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!